Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Go Obama!

It's Election Day...even in Antigua! There is an "election results party" tonight at an American-owned bar here called Monoloco (crazy monkey).

I'm in Antigua, not the Antigua in the Caribbean but rather the one that is just southwest of Guatemala City.

My guidebook says, "In all the long, boring conversations about where the real Guatemala is, you can be certain that Antigua never came up."

But it's real enough for me, for now. Antigua has an international draw for people wanting to learn Spanish. There are literally hundreds of Spanish schools in Antigua and even more Spanish teachers since nearly all the schools provide one-on-one instruction.

Today, I'm visiting schools and hope to find one I like and get settled in here a little bit. I will probably stay about a month here in Antigua learning Spanish is the morning and doing some volunteer work a few afternoons a week.

I've been told that Antigua is a great jumping off point for other things to see and do in Guatemala.

So far, I haven't seen or done much since I've been in Guatemala (6 whole days!), but hell, I have a year, so what's the hurry?

I've been slowed down a couple of mornings thanks to nausea caused by my malaria pills. They are supposed to be taken on an empty stomach. The drug instructions say that some manufacturers state the pills may be taken with food if nausea occurs, but this may hinder absorption. I have a suspicion that puking up my stomach bile after ingestion in my private-down-the-hall bathroom might also hinder absorption. So I finally have that worked out. MUST TAKE WITH FOOD!

Aren't you glad I'm sharing all the details with you?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am very excited for Obama's win. Finally we'll have intelligence and a sound mind leading our country (and I'm excited that our generation gets it's very own JFK, so I can quit being jeous of my mom). I took Trent with me the last Obama rally and he told me that Barack Obama was his friend and that he was so so funny. My ultra-conservative in-laws were none too thrilled, but screw them. Anyway I enjoyed reading your blog I can't believe someone I know is going on such a cool trip. BTW I noticed that England is not on your itinerary but if you should somehow find yourself there I know my mom would be happy to put you up. She lives in Devonshire 4 hours west of London.

Bubba said...

Well, with all this Obama talk, it just wouldn't be American for me not to share my views as well. Its disappointing to me that American's were hood-winked into the biggest welfare plan ever proposed, disguised as a tax cut. You can't cut taxes below 0...unless you plan to write a check...then its welfare and that's exactly Obama's plan. All that being said, the election is over and we have a new president...and America is still great!

mo said...

I love my bubba & gimpboy & and their conflicting views!