Tuesday, November 18, 2008

An Earthquake and an Active Volcano

A week ago yesterday there was a tremor in Guatemala. It originated by the west coast and the magnitude was 4.9. For those of us who don't know anything about earthquakes and tremors, anything with a magnitude less that 6 is considered a tremor.

It was about 9 a.m. I was an hour into my Spanish lesson. It was the strangest sensation and hardly anyone seemed to notice. I thought maybe a HUGE truck was rattling over the cobblestone streets outside...but I've never really seen a semi (as we know them) in Antigua. My teacher kept talking. Finally, I had to interrupt. What the hell is going on?! (Okay, I don't know how to say that in Spanish, but that's what I wanted to say!)

It was a tremor. He said he thought he was feeling dizzy. I was too...that's because the earth beneath us was swaying back and forth! The building rattled a little bit. The light bulbs in my room have been a little temperamental ever since. And apparently the reason so many people didn't notice (again, for those of us who know nothing about earthquakes) is that if it's a little tremor and you're up walking around, you can't really feel it.

The last major earthquake in Antigua was in 1976, and people here lived in tents at the market for about two months following the earthquake because the houses were too unstable. Victor, my teacher, says that Antiguans appreciate small tremors because, he says, when there are long periods without a tremor people begin to worry that there will be another major earthquake.

Last weekend I was surprised and fortunate to have a visitor from Colorado. Chris's girlfriend's brother, Marcus (who I'd never met) was in Guatemala and he met up with me in Antigua after visiting Tikal. It was great to have a traveling companion, if only for a weekend, and we had a fantastic time together. We hiked one of the active volcanoes here with Becky and Oliver. I think all four of us probably thought from time to time, ¨Is this a good idea to climb an active volcano??¨

Well...there were a 100 other tourists doing it...and it was a guided tour...but if everyone else jumped into the fiery lava, would I?

Anyway, the volcano is called Pacaya. It's about an hour and half outside of Antigua via bumpy shuttle bus that seems to only have one speed - WAY TOO FAST - and moves quickly and recklessly through the windy and narrow roads that lead to the volcano. If you're proned to motion sickness (or recovering from a hangover), this will not be your ideal trip.

I don't think any of us realized how far away the volcano was, so we were relieved when we saw signs leading to Pacaya. The running joke when there was any confusion or delay was, ¨And now we get robbed.¨

There was a brief delay when we entered the national park. ¨And now we get robbed.¨

We made it through the entrance in our shuttle to the trailhead where we were met by a hoard of children selling sticks. They insisted these sticks were necessary. (Are they weapons or hiking aids?) In any case, we passed. ¨Es necesario! Es necesario!¨

Our guide was named Samuel, and he reminded me a little of Carlos from the Rover, both in appearance and demeanor. He was great. Cheerful, patient...he spoke Spanish clearly and slowly and would repeat himself if need be so that we understood. He showed us different plants along the way and told us about the volcano. I think the last erruption was in 1996. I can't remember for sure.

Anyway, it was quite an experience. We took the afternoon trip, so we arrived near the top right at sunset. There was one stream of lava flowing that begun flowing about two months ago. It was absolutely amazing. You could walk right up to it. It was awesome to seeing it glowing...and flowing and glowing. It was mesmerizing. AND VERY VERY HOT. I smelled burning rubber. I checked my shoes. Mine were fine, but I suspect someone returned with melted soles.

As I approached the molten lava, it seems like I crossed some kind of threshold into the heat. I cautiously felt the lava rocks beneath me. They really weren't that hot, but I guess the heat was radiating from below. I imagine closer to the molten lava the rocks were hot to the touch, but I didn't check. I have some awesome pictures to post whenever I get that figured out.

The other really cool part about the hike before reaching the top, we had to hike down an ENORMOUS incline that was basically a huge pile of lava dirt or teeny tiny lava rocks. It was so steep, you could only go fast. There was no going slowly and cautiously. Basically you had to run down it and dig in with your heels as you go, go, go! I can't express how fun it was. I felt like a little kid. Sheer joy just bubbled up and out from inside me and all I could do was laugh all the way down. It was so dirty because with every step you stirred up a giant dust cloud and I don't think my shoes will ever be the same, but it was so much fun!!

Oliver made the point that we crossed the barrier of trying to stay clean because now we were so dirty it didn't matter any more.

It was dark for our hike back. (And now we get robbed.) But we had the moonlight and a flashlight for every two of us, and we managed to make it back down without too many stumbles and only one major freak out over a gigantic spider that turned out to be a shadow.

For me it was a hard climb up. Hiking on loose volcanic rock isn't exactly easy. I huffed and puffed and struggled quite a bit with my asthma on the way up. Marcus and Oliver took turns hanging back with me (so I didn't robbed), and I really appreciated them doing that. It's a drag to be the slow one, but I'm so glad to have experienced hiking an active volcano and seeing molten lava in the dark and the belly laughter on the downhill run. It was definitely an experience like none other for me.

By the way, we didn't get robbed.

9 comments:

Bubba said...

What a cool hike! Are you having fun each day? A routine, or is every day different? Why did you switch teachers?

Sorry to hear about your jeans! Can you get them sewn up?

Things are good here....hard to believe Thanksgiving is next week. We are going to Ft. Collins for a few days. Probably hard for you to find a tofurkey in Guat. I'll tell Rams to savor a bite for you!

Love and miss you!
Bubba

tattooprincess said...

That sounds so AMAZING!! Thank you so much for writing so well and for keeping us homebodies filled in on your fabulous adventures. I loved the part about the lava stream.

Anonymous said...

What a cool hike! I would have loved it! It sounds like your adventure is living up to all you've ever dreamed of! I'm so happy for you!

Bubba said...

Hey Mo, did you know that Starbuck's has a medium blend coffee labeled Antigua, Guatemala?! I saw it in line today for my American luxury of +$3coffee in the morning (actually, I have a Chai Tea Latte). Thought of you!

We had a great weekend! We all went to Wash Park on Saturday morning and Rams played with the kids while I did a running clinic with one of my coaches from the gym. Then in the afternoon we checked into the Omni Interlocken Hotel up by Flatirons mall just for the heck of it. We ate dinner out, then all swam in the outdoor heated pool and then sat by their blazing firepit. We all went to bed in the same room at 8:30p and then ate out for breakfast and swam some more on Sunday morning before checking out. The kids loved it and we had a great time!

Hope you had a good weekend too!

Love you,
Bubba

Bubba said...

Hey Mo! Happy Tofurkey Day! I have to be quick because it is crunch time....all the food is going to be ready and the table has to be set and and and and....so, we will be eating soon! I love and miss you and hope you are having a good day today!! Can't wait for another update!

Love you, Ryan, Ramsee, Reeve, Raleigh, and Ridge

PS I'll write you more later when I have more time...that is if i'm not in a tripdaphan coma!

Bubba said...

Mo,
We had a good thanksgiving day at John and Tish's house. We started off doing the Turkey Trot 4 mile race in downtown Ft. Collins. Over 1,500 people did it.

Had dinner with Dad last night at the Spaghetti Factory with Chels and family. It was a nice time.

Today (Saturday) we are taking all the kids and going to see the Nutcracker somewhere in Boulder, I think on the CU campus.

I got the Christmas decorations down today, but haven't put up the lights yet. It snowed last night, so I don't think I can do it for at least a few days.

How's your weekend? Do you take lessons on Saturday and Sunday, too?

Love you lots,
Later,
Bubba

Holly said...

Hello Moriah,

Hope you had a nice non-traditional Thanksgiving!

When are you going to post photos?

Holly

Rory said...

Moriah, I miss you! But I am so very thrilled that your incredible adventure has begun. And though Bubba already asked, I, too, want to know why you switched Spanish teachers.

By the way, the "pagan" ritual you attended sounds incredible, right up my alley. It seems to have a lot of the same elements as traditional African rituals (found in branches such as Ifa, Vodou, Condomble, Santeria, Lukumi), which is not surprising since many of the religious beliefs in Central/South America were intermixed with both Catholocism and the beliefs of the populations that arrived due to the slave trade.

Plant brushings are a common practice among indigenous cultures all over the world, from Native American to Siberian. The purpose is to transfer the life force/energy of the plants to the person being brushed; or conversely, the plants absorb any negativity or sickness from the person. I hear that Rue is commonly used in Central and S. America for this -- awesome plant, by the way! Smells fabulous! And you can carry a little with you for both divine protection and good fortune -- material or otherwise. Yippee!

Spraying with rum, gin, or other alcohol is also a very common practice in the above-mentioned African-based religions. The priest, by having it in his mouth first, is mixing his personal power/energy (and as the priest, he has a lot!) with the offering and then is able to transfer that power/energy to the recipient. Alcoholic beverages are very commonly used as an offering to the Divine and to the ancestor spirits in these religions.

One last tidbit: Indigenous practices vary widely in some ways from place to place, but very often, the "head honcho" is referred to as a priest, or sometimes shaman. "Witch" is usually (but not always) the term that outsiders use to describe these community healers who are practicing what are often misunderstood -- and therefore, to outsiders, suspicious --ceremonies. Many times, these "witches" are the only healers that these small communities have access to, and they often possess incredible traditional knowledge of the medicinal plants of their area, in addition to helping individuals and groups muster the spiritual strength to endure and persevere through what can be very prejudiced and unjust social environments. They are often the true historians and compassionate counselors of their communities. Something to keep in mind if you meet anyone else like this . . . You were potentially really blessed to have seen this person! (Remember the beloved "witch"-shaman-healer in Bali from Eat Love Pray, with all his "strange" rituals for the people; and her friend who ran the little medicine shop there, too!)

Of course, there are also a billion religious sheisters and con artists out there in the world, too, just trying to make a quick buck off people's fears, so everything can cut both ways . . .

Okay, there's my gigantic two cents -- just thought you'd like to know! : ) Keep on having a FABULOUS adventure, and I can't wait to read your next post. Love you and Miss you, Take much care --Wendy and I will have a drink to you! xoxo rory

Anonymous said...

How was your turkey day? Do they even have turkey in Guatamala? It was crazy here! I had 14 people over for dinner-and 12 people stayed with us for 5 days. Can't wait for your next update!

Jenny