Monday, June 8, 2009

Down Under

I arrived in Australia about 5 weeks ago and have been on the go almost ever since, minus the first week when I pretty much only slept and ate and slept some more while getting over the jetlag and pure exhaustion from South America.

The first week I couldn't seem to stay awake past 7:00 p.m., and I was awake every morning before the sun came up...I heard the first bird of the day chirp...EVERYDAY. But now I seem to have my internal clock in sync with Australia time. Perth is 14 hours ahead of Denver.

It has been very nice to be in an English-speaking country. Australia is similar to the U.S. as far as standards of living goes, personal space, cleanliness, social norms, etc. So things generally make sense here. And the best part is, when things don't make sense, asking a question and getting an answer is easy because it's all in ENGLISH!

I have had to learn a bit of a new language, however:

stubby = bottle of beer
stubby holder = beer coozie
footy = Australian Rules football
cheesy = toasted cheese sandwich
pram = stroller
capsicum = bell pepper
tea = dinner
mozzies = mosquitoes
bottle shop = liquor store
sunnies = sunglasses
chewie = gum
chooks = chickens
daks = pants
dag = nerd, dork
bung = plug
ute = pick-up truck
Good on ya! = Good for you!, Well done!
sheila = a woman
lollies = sweets, candy
chips = french fries, fried potatoes
perving = checking someone out
pashing = french kissing
Rack off! = Get lost!
Wanna get on the piss? = Wanna go drinking?
rock up = show up, arrive
call in = stop by
spewin' = angry
Oz = Australia

And guess what. Fosters is NOT Australian for beer, Mate!

So what have I been up to the last few weeks?

Chris and I took a three week road trip from Perth up to Exmouth along the west coast of Australia. It was absolutely gorgeous, and we visited a lot of places that I would never have been able to see (or not so easily) without him because of the need for 4 wheel drive.

We hung out on some absolutely pristine beaches, some completely deserted and others jam-packed, but probably the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. Some of them were nice and sandy, others were rocky with amazing cliffs. We went to one beach called Shell Beach which is made up of millions of tiny shells, something like 8 feet deep.

I've seen lots of dolphins since I've been here. Besides just seeing them in the ocean from a distant or "chasing" them with a boat in the ocean, I also went to a resort called Monkey Mia where they have a feeding program for a group of dolphins that come to shore every day without fail. There was one dolphin in particular who back in the 60s was quite sociable with humans and begged for food at the back of boats. Some woman caught on to this and decided to lure the dolphin into the shore over time, and eventually this dolphin would come to shore on its own to be fed.

Today the Monkey Mia resort has a program (and tourist attraction) where they feed 5 dolphins (although about 15 or so come to shore semi-regularly) up to three times a day before lunchtime 1/3 of their daily intake. They don't want the dolphins to become too reliant on humans for their food. They won't consider feeding any dolphins younger than 13 years old, and they only feed female dolphins these days because the males sometime became too aggressive.

Occasionally, one of their females is "taken" by the male dolphins when the males are ready to mate. They males will literally bully the female, bite her, and force her to come with them. Usually the female is seen at the shore again, with injuries, within a few days but the longest one was taken for was just over a month.

It was a really amazing experience to stand in the water with dolphins swimming past my legs just a few feet away!

After making it to Exmouth we headed inland and checked out the gorges in the Karijini National Park. Gorgeous! We spent one day just sitting half in half out of one of the pools in the gorge soaking in the sun, drinking beer and watching tourists. We hardly moved for about 5 hours except to take turns hiking back to the car for more beers! It was a fantastic lazy day.

I'm back in Perth for about another week, and then I head to Brisbane to meet up with Crystal and Patty who are coming for a 7 day vacation. I'm looking forward to seeing some friends, especially girlfriends.

I'm not sure what the plan is yet from Brisbane. I've been invited to a birthday party in Sydney, so I may head south to Sydney, but it will be colder there. Or, because of my new addiction to sunshine, I'm pretty tempted to head up north where it should be nice and hot!

I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Aunt Diane said...

Hi Mo, So good to hear from you - finally!! I'm glad your somewhere safe for a while. If you are liking the heat, come to Oklahoma - the heat index today is going to be around 107 - It was 90 degrees at 9 AM!! Keep the blogs coming. Love you, Aunt Diane